Size of the overwintering monarch populations - published data.

patrick foley patfoley at csus.edu
Mon Oct 13 18:41:54 EDT 2003

Stanley,

Franklin's magic number of 500 is bogus. His paper  (championed by
Soule, was simply wrong. Soule knows it (I told him so), and Franklin
never published again on the subject. See my 1992 Evolution paper for
discussion. Lande (who is usually very good) knows the magic number 500
is bogus, but unaccountably feeds the flames with his paper that you
mention. I wrote a rebuttal to Conservation Biology, but they (having
just cited the number favorably 3 times in one issue including the Lande
paper), felt that my point was already well understood and did not need
reiteration.

Lynch and Lande have an interesting potential phenomenon in mutational
meltdown. It is essentially a form of Muller's ratchet, The mechanism
which may explain the maintenance of sexual outcrossing.

There is no clear cut minimum effective population size that leads to
inability to evolve or to mutational meltdown. And Monarchs are a very
unlikely candidate anyhow due to the large overall population size and
wide outbreeding.

The population genetics question that seems most pointed to me is, when
do the less migratory genotypes begin to beat out the less migratory
types? When that happens, the migration starts to decline.

Patrick
patfoley at csus.edu