Size of the overwintering monarch populations - published data.

Stanley A. Gorodenski stan_gorodenski at asualumni.org
Tue Oct 14 12:39:46 EDT 2003

Notwithstanding the fact that "There is no clear cut minimum effective
population size that leads to inability to evolve or to mutational
meltdown" as Patrick stated (I arbitrarily chose 5,000 for illustration
purposes, but purposely chose not to use the term 'mutational meltdown')
I still think a study pursuing the general idea I outlined would be an
interesting project. We could learn more about the dynamics of this
butterfly, and it would provide additional research topics (including
theoretical population genetic topics) for graduate students and post
docs.  :-)

Some readers on this list may not have read all the way through my
message and therefore did not get to the last paragraph. After reading
it myself  I see it could have been written with better clarity. I had
some questions at the end that I do not expect an answer to but would
like to raise them again. They immediately follow. To them I want to add
two more:
1. I assumed 400 local populations for illustration purposes, but what
do we know about how many local populations might exist as a result of
geographic barriers or neighborhood size considerations?
2. As important as it is to determine the size of the returning
population (which Brower is focusing on), it is also important, from my
perspective, to know how many make it back and reproduce. What do we
know about this from tag counts?
3. It is widely recognized that the Monarch is a 'widely outbreeding'
species as Patrick said. But how certain can we be of the degree of it?
If  the Monarchs on their return randomly distribute themselves over the
northern attitudes, then there would indeed be a large degree of
outbreeding, but if they generally go back to the same area they
emigrated from, the outbreeding would not be as large as we think.

Some of the answers to these questions may be already common knowledge
amongst those studying the Monarch. I do not know that much about
Monarchs, but if I were to get into studying them there sure would be a
lot to learn.
Stan