ammonia (was Re: Ethylene dichloride)

Doug Yanega dyanega at pop.ucr.edu
Tue Sep 9 12:14:39 EDT 2003

By far the best lep-killing technique I've ever been introduced to
was using a small syringe (the disposable kind used by diabetics for
insulin injections) to inject a small amount of ammonia. It takes
less volume of liquid to kill than ethanol does (dramatically less on
very large moths), kills faster, and leaves the critter amazingly
relaxed. Even things like Sphinx moths and skippers, which are often
very hard to spread, are a breeze when they've been killed with an
ammonia injection. Of course, I haven't tested to see how long this
relaxedness lasts - I suppose it couldn't persist once the specimen
has begun to dry out significantly.

Peace,