West Mexico Site

Hank Brodkin hbrodkin at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 3 14:39:43 EST 2004

Last November and the beginning of December we drove down to western Mexico.
We spent one day in Casa Aduana, near Alamos, then continued to Mazatlan
where we met Paul and Evi Opler.  We spent the next week with them,
butterflying the outskirts of Mazatlan and the Durango Highway.  It really
was a learning experience and we appreciate Paul's patience with us.
On the day after Thanksgiving we left the Oplers and headed south to a house
we had arranged to rent at Boca Tomatlan just below Mismaloya where 200
turns inland.  The house was on a semi-deciduous tropcial forest draped
hillside - on the water at the edge of the bay, opposite the busy part of
town.  There were two bedrooms, a kitchen that sported a microwave and
coffee maker, and a TV which one station - CNN.  On the balcony outside,
overlooking the bay and the inlet, we could breakfast while west Mexican
endemic birds fed in the trees along side of us and occaisonal flocks of
Military Macaws flew overhead.  All this for $50.00 a day!
We looked for butterflies on the path to our house and drove the 3 KM to
Mismaloya to check that fabulous spot out and were not dissapointed.
We invite any of you who are interested to check our website:
http://home.earthlink.net/~hbrodkin/index.html

Scroll down to the West Mexican links, for images of the butterflies which
we have tenatavely identified.  Please don't be shy about sending us your
comments and corrections!  With the lack of reference material we really
want to know what we photographed.
Paul is working up a list for the Mazatlan area and will send me his input
so the site will be in a fluid state with name changes as the days go by.

Hank Brodkin
Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ
hbrodkin at earthlink.net
SouthEast Arizona Butterfly Association (SEABA)
http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabasa/home.html
"Butterflies of Arizona - a Photographic Guide"
by Bob Stewart, Priscilla Brodkin and Hank Brodkin
http://home.earthlink.net/~hbrodkin/index.html