[leps-talk] Re: Fwd: Interdiction of illegal loggers

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Thu Jun 17 18:09:32 EDT 2004

Paul Cherubini wrote:
>Same old story:
>1. The scope of the illegal

Paul, "Same Old Story" indeed, again and again and again.  The oddest thing
is that both of our initial responses this issue basically agree on the major
issue that this was a small haul.  The fact that this same old story this time
is a small haul wouldn't seem to be an argument that the Monarchs are going
strong.  It would seem to me that an auditor or scientist finding that someone
just stole a few quarters out of the cash register every time they checked
makes a good argument that the controls are failing.

You could make some a valid point or two if you didn't seize every
opportunity to force your thoughts:

The objection with your post is that your snippet of my response was crafted
into the foundation of something I didn't suggest or even judge.  The
"overwhelming" refers to the task of ENFORCING THE LAW vs. "UNCIVILITY AND
LAWLESSNESS" we now are seeing, and has nothing to do with the "BIOLOGICAL" scale of
damage issue you use my words to make.

As you have a different axe to grind let me make clear my perspective on your
issue, so as not to be misinterpreted:

1.  Aerial photos certainly sound like a good idea but equally are certainly
incomplete to evaluate current rates (rather than historical ones) of
degradation.  If you want a reckoning of the past predictions, I don't think that is
the first thing on the mind of a researcher trying to do something new.  You
could always work on a rigorous publication covering it, though.  What type of
coverage and where and at what cost can it be done to decisively and
unambiguously evaluate the fitness (humidity, temperature buffering ability, appropriate
level of wilderness, etc.) of the forests...I find it difficult to believe
that a few pictures you take on the fly are conclusive, since you choose to take
even my own points out of context in this very post to convince...

2.   This illegal activity quickly gets out of control like a cancer, if word
gets out it is a way to turn a quick peso.  You need to recognize the
importance of achieiving a stable situation rather than promoting a free for all or
anarchy.  Because in one season you could lose it all.  Can you really believe
the two little guys in that article are chosing what trees to cut down based
on concern for the Monarchs as you state?  More likely they are only concerned
with saving their own posteriors and stealing, and would haul The Pines (Los
Pinos: A Mexican Presidential retreat) away if no one were looking.

3.  You include yourself in "the public", in your perception that most all
the conservationists and environmentalists are in a sort of misinformation
conspiracy.  Certainly if you are the public, so are they.  So no need polarizing
or championing an Us vs. Them situation.  Their posting about all these
thieves' activity is not misinformation.  Neither is projecting natural resources a
misinformation campaign when based on reasonable science.

4.  What is "reasonable science" or good science is traditionally resolved in
peer reviewed scientific journals.  For all the effort you make, the biggest
question to me isn't "Why there are no conservationist polaroids of the
forests", but rather "where's Paul's good science."  Send the public a reference,
won't you?

5.  Once you suggested a potential solution in response to my post, to help
improve the situation.  It was that Big US Lumber interests educate Mexico on
how to manage Forests.  Perhaps that would be acceptable to have those
interests manage Yosemite, etc., I'm not even condemning they would do a bad job.  In
Mexico, the age of overt participation of big US industrial interests in
natural resources has past.  Last time that happened, petroleum and mining, rail,
etc. were basically lost to foreigners, and had to be seized back, leaving a
very bitter aftermath, so maybe you can understand why that idea needs a little
work before it can fly.

Saludos, Doug

En un mensaje con fecha 06/17/2004 3:16:07 PM Mexico Daylight Time,
monarch at saber.net escribe: