Semiothus pinistrobata

Gary Anweiler gganweiler at sprint.ca
Mon May 17 19:34:48 EDT 2004

To you mean Semiothisa, changed to Macaria ?

This means someone decided the bug previously known as Semiothisa pinistrobata belongs in a different genus, Macaria, which now becomes the valid name for most (all ?) of what we called Semiothisa.  I believe this was done by Malcolm Scoble in his recent Catalogue of the World Geometridae published in 1999. Major works like this usually result in a number of changes to the names we are familiar with, because in-depth studies like his often reveal errors in the way we understood the relationships in the group being revised, or otherwise results in a better understanding of how the entities in the group are related. This can be a bit of a pain in the ass if one decides to change all the labels to the new name, or revise all the names in a database to reflect this change. It also makes searching for things digitally more complicated. Hopefully the up side is that it improves our understanding of the relationships within the group as well.

I hope I am not confusing you even more !  Goodbye Semiothisa; hello Macaria.

Gary