"Butterflies of Mexico" - Garwood & Lehman. 2004.

Mike Quinn ento at satx.rr.com
Mon May 31 13:04:02 EDT 2004

Dear Leps-Lers,

Kim Garwood & Richard Lehman of South Texas have produced a field
guide/illustrated checklist covering NE Mexico that they are selling at
cost. I have no financial stake in their endeavor, however Kim said I could
brag on it...

Butterflies of Mexico: Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, San Luis Potosi.
Kim Garwood & Richard Lehman. 2004.
Privately published. 97 color plates, approx. 750 images.

It's based on a compilation of live butterfly photos on their website
(though many Skipper photos in the book aren't yet posted):
______________________________________
      Neotropical Butterflies
http://www.neotropicalbutterflies.com/

I recently bought a copy and found it to be one of the very best I've seen
in recent years. It's one of the few guides to extensively (though not
completely) treat NE Mexico's Hairstreaks, Metalmarks and Skippers. The
photography, design and layout are all extremely well done. The price is
quite reasonable given the large number of plates.

Note that the text is limited to a brief introduction (which includes maps
to suggested relevant butterfly watching locations), a list of Skippers for
which they don't yet have photos, an abbreviated bibliography, and indexes
organized by genus, specific epithet and English name.

The bulk of their guide are the 97 plates with eight sharp, tightly cropped
photos per plate. Below each photo is an English name (newly coined or taken
from various sources), the scientific name, and which of the three
northeastern Mexican states where the species is thought to occur. A limited
number of difficult to determine species are only ID'ed to genus, e.g.
*Calephelis* sp. and *Bolla* sp.

It's spiral-bound, soft cover, and approximately 7" x 5".

In taking a hard look at it, I only detected a few errors and made a few
other suggested improvements to the authors.

I'm told that in part due to the relatively economical cost of production,
later this year they will print an expanded edition with more photos per
species plus any additional quality photos for species not currently
illustrated. Naturally, they will charge a correspondingly higher fee for
the revised edition.

For more information or a copy, please contact the authors:

Kim Garwood <verandahsoft at earthlink.net>
Richard Lehman <Rcarterlehman at cs.com>

Mike Quinn, New Braunfels, TX, ento at satx.rr.com

 Latin American Butterfly Field Guides