Hand Pairing vs. Greenhouse Natural Breeding

Stanley A. Gorodenski stan_gorodenski at asualumni.org
Fri Oct 1 03:56:16 EDT 2004

I hand paired Chlosyne lacinia with 100% success and the females always
laid their full complement of fertile egg clusters. Females would
oviposit 400 to 1200 eggs from one mating. The technique I used is
displayed at
http://users.commspeed.net/stanlep/mating.jpg
The female was first fastened to the substrate and its abdomen
positioned by guide pins to prevent movement during the pairing
procedure.When the male was mounted on the balsa wood I would pinch its
thorax with forceps. After this treatment some males immediately clasped
the female's genetalia, although it was usually necessary to manipulate
the abdomen and extrude its claspers.
Stan