the real J. V. Calhoun

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Thu Oct 14 16:18:41 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: John Calhoun
Subject: RE: Erynnis maritalis in Florida - old news

Ron,

I am quite certain that we will all survive this "Erynnis crisis." Thanks
for your record. Duly noted. Life goes on. Thanks for your interest.

John Calhoun
************

Well, I tried.   The above is the type of nice stuff John puts out in
public.  The following was his personal message to me in responce to my
attempt to admit I could have done better.   At least in this one he didn't
use 4 letter words or cuss me out like he usually does inc  yesterday "...
I'm tired of your bullsh**t." .   I am not paranoid, John is on a personal
quest for my hide - not just research.  This is why he never asks me for
any data.  I'm the last person on earth he wants to get with or cooperate
with.  For years I have gotten reports from people who have been taken back
by what John has said about me (more his tone) in gatherings where I was
not present.  The I'm gonna get Ron on this one type of thing.  I have two
purposes here. One, is to demonstrate that John is a phony "nice guy".  Me,
what one sees is what one gets - on line or off, in person or never met - I
may be a pain but I am no two faced phony.  The other is get him to stop
sending me harassing emails as from now on I will send his personal ilk to
everyone.  I say to him pirvately, John I am willing to admit I could have
done better, and he responds with ungracious stuff like this.

Ron,

Yes, why don't we talk "realization" for a moment. I could literally write
reams of paper about all the things I strongly disagree with in your work.
I certainly have the desire to argue your conclusions. But for now, I'm
content knowing that with every paper I publish, you will immediately stop
what you are doing to concentrate on what I have written, effectively
delaying your own research. Ron, that thought is quite satisfying to me.
Think what you could have accomplished if you had used this time on your
own projects. A whole batch of new stuff will be available to you in a few
weeks when my next lengthy paper appears in the J. Lepid. Soc.. After that,
there will be another. Then another. Then another. Yes, I will be keeping
you quite busy for the next several years. I hope you find time for your
own work.

By the way, it's spelled "martialis" not "maritalis." Another overlooked,
but perpetuated inaccuracy...

John