[leps-talk] Re: Monarch Scientists on a Media Blitz this fall

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Mon Oct 18 02:38:52 EDT 2004

Here's another example of the worrisome information
the scientists have been providing reporters and the general
public recently:
======================================
Posted on Mon, Oct. 11, 2004

Scientists puzzled by low number of monarchs in Texas

By JOHN MORITZ
Fort Worth Star-Telegram

AUSTIN, Texas - Call them the absentee monarchs.

Scientists from Kansas to Texas are befuddled why the
monarch butterfly, which generally migrates by the millions
through the Lone Star State by early October en route to its
winter home in Mexico, is relatively scarce.

"Judging from past years' experience, the majority of the
monarch migrants should be well into Texas by now, but
they're not," said Mike Quinn, an entomologist with the
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. "Last October 10,
there was a massive drop down from Kansas, but we're just
not seeing them this time."
Now on the other hand, here are some pictures of large
numbers of monarchs in north Texas that Mike Quinn was
aware of prior to publication of the Oct. 11 article, but
apparently didn't show the reporters:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/abilene10-3.jpg
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/abilene10-5.jpg
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/potosi10-5.jpg

And here are some reports of monarch abundance in Texas that