Monarchs and Monoculture in southern Michigan

Tom Middagh trgarden at frontiernet.net
Fri Aug 19 22:37:05 EDT 2005

------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C5A506.819D8CA0

Hello all, wanted to add my 2 cents from a farm in SW Minnesota.  Looks =
like there are those that cannot believe that butterflies can survive in =
a harsh monoculture.  Which if you go stand in the middle of a field of =
corn or soybeans things do look a bit sterile.  But all one has to do is =
walk to the edges along road sides, Rail road lines, farm yards and =
numerous areas that are not planted and there is an abundance of =
butterflies and quite a few different species to be seen.  this year the =
Painted ladies are just thick.  Due to a very wet spring year and the =
thistles going nuts.  There were hundreds of larva and now hundreds of =
adults.  The milkweeds around here are full of monarch larva I counted 5 =
on one plant.  A mere 30 feet from BT corn.  Should be a very good =
population this fall.  This year is a good year for butterflies.  =
Butterflies cycle from being abundant to not so abundant year to year.  =
It's too bad we farmers get blamed for a environmental disaster every =
time a short year shows up.  Take away the pesticides and the price of =
gas will be nothing in comparison to the cost of food.  Let alone that =
hungry feeling many of us will have.. =20

Have a great weekend=20
Tom Middagh

  "Carolyn King" <cking at YorkU.CA> wrote in message =
news:OF19A752CE.F9C0E9D8-ON85257062.0080401D-85257062.008180B0 at yorku.ca..=
.

  Oh, come on, Paul. Anyone can see that the second photo does not show =
"this same exact patch of milkweed". The first photo shows tall grass in =
seed on both sides. The second photo has none, but shows some bushy =
plants or shrubs that does not appear anywhere in the first picture. It =
isn't even the same patch shot from a different direction. When you show =
us "proof" like this, is it any wonder that people don't believe your =
other evidence?=20

  Carolyn=20

        Paul Cherubini <monarch at saber.net>=20
        Sent by: owner-leps-l at lists.yale.edu=20
        08/19/05 03:16 PM Please respond to
              monarch at saber.net=20

       To LEPS-L at lists.yale.edu =20
              cc =20
              Subject Re: Monarchs and Monoculture in southern Michigan=20

             =20

      =20

  Carolyn King wrote:

  > Paul,
  > We have discussed this before. We all know that the Monarchs and =
Painted
  > Ladies are migrants. They did not originate in the places you are
  > photographing them.

  Carolyn, monarch caterpillars are abundant right now
  right next to the genetically modified crops:in the places
  I have been photographing the clustering and nectaring adults
  (southern Minnesota and northern Iowa) , plus countless thousands
  of monarch chrysalids emerging everyday in these same row
  crop areas.

  Here's photographic proof:

  Here's the Roundup Ready soybean crop monoculture and
  a patch of milkweed at Lakota, Iowa
  http://www.saber.net/~monarch/lakotac.jpg

  Here's a monarch caterpillar on this same exact patch of milkweed
  taken 4 days ago: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/lakotab.jpg

  Here are monarch caterpillars I photographed last year
  in August on this same exact patch of milkweed at Lakota, Iowa
  http://www.saber.net/~monarch/larvaeelakota.jpg

  Likewise with the Painted Ladies; the countless thousands
  of Painted Lady adults in Iowa right now are in newly
  emerged condition and the adults are not displaying
  directional flight, hence it is reasonable to assume they
  originated in Iowa

  http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/gilc.jpg

  An outbreak of Painted Ladies also occurred in Iowa in
  July - Sept 2003
  http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/plbestt.jpg

  I do agree that the *parent* butterflies of these Monarchs
  and Painted Ladies currently in Iowa & Minnesota did not
  necessarily originate in Iowa & Minnesota.

  Paul Cherubini
  El Dorado, Calif.

    http://www.peabody.yale.edu/other/lepsl=20

------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C5A506.819D8CA0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello all, wanted to add my 2 cents =
from a farm in=20
SW Minnesota.&nbsp; Looks like there are those that cannot believe that=20
butterflies can survive in a harsh monoculture.&nbsp; Which if you go =
stand in=20
the middle of a field of corn or soybeans things do look a bit =
sterile.&nbsp;=20
But all one has to do is walk to the edges along road sides, Rail road =
lines,=20
farm yards&nbsp;and numerous areas that are not planted and there is an=20
abundance of butterflies and quite a few different species to be =
seen.&nbsp;=20
this year the Painted ladies are just thick.&nbsp; Due to a very wet =
spring year=20
and the thistles going nuts.&nbsp; There were hundreds of larva and now =
hundreds=20
of adults.&nbsp; The milkweeds around here are full of monarch larva I =
counted 5=20
on one plant.&nbsp; A mere 30 feet from BT corn.&nbsp; Should be a very =
good=20
population this fall.&nbsp; This year is a good year for =
butterflies.&nbsp;=20
Butterflies cycle from being abundant to not so abundant year to =
year.&nbsp;=20
It's too bad we farmers get blamed for a environmental disaster every =
time a=20
short year shows up.&nbsp; Take away the pesticides and the price of gas =
will be=20
nothing in comparison to the cost of food.&nbsp; Let alone that hungry =
feeling=20
many of us will have..&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Have a great weekend </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tom Middagh</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Carolyn King" &lt;<A =
href=3D"mailto:cking at YorkU.CA">cking at YorkU.CA</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:OF19A752CE.F9C0E9D8-ON85257062.0080401D-85257062.008180B0 at yo=
rku.ca">news:OF19A752CE.F9C0E9D8-ON85257062.0080401D-85257062.008180B0 at yo=
rku.ca</A>...</DIV><BR><FONT=20
  face=3Dsans-serif size=3D2>Oh, come on, Paul. Anyone can see that the =
second photo=20
  does not show "this same exact patch of milkweed". The first photo =
shows tall=20
  grass in seed on both sides. The second photo has none, but shows some =
bushy=20
  plants or shrubs that does not appear anywhere in the first picture. =
It isn't=20
  even the same patch shot from a different direction. When you show us =
"proof"=20
  like this, is it any wonder that people don't believe your other=20
  evidence?</FONT> <BR><BR><FONT face=3Dsans-serif =
size=3D2>Carolyn</FONT>=20
  <BR><BR><BR><BR>
  <TABLE width=3D"100%">
    <TBODY>
    <TR vAlign=3Dtop>
      <TD width=3D"40%"><FONT face=3Dsans-serif size=3D1><B>Paul =
Cherubini=20
        &lt;monarch at saber.net&gt;</B> </FONT><BR><FONT face=3Dsans-serif =

        size=3D1>Sent by: owner-leps-l at lists.yale.edu</FONT>=20
        <P><FONT face=3Dsans-serif size=3D1>08/19/05 03:16 PM</FONT>=20
        <TABLE border=3D1>
          <TBODY>
          <TR vAlign=3Dtop>
            <TD bgColor=3Dwhite>
              <DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3Dsans-serif =
size=3D1>Please respond=20
              =
to<BR>monarch at saber.net</FONT></DIV></TR></TBODY></TABLE><BR></P>
      <TD width=3D"59%">
        <TABLE width=3D"100%">
          <TBODY>
          <TR vAlign=3Dtop>
            <TD>
              <DIV align=3Dright><FONT face=3Dsans-serif =
size=3D1>To</FONT></DIV>
            <TD><FONT face=3Dsans-serif =
size=3D1>LEPS-L at lists.yale.edu</FONT>=20
          <TR vAlign=3Dtop>
            <TD>
              <DIV align=3Dright><FONT face=3Dsans-serif =
size=3D1>cc</FONT></DIV>
            <TD>
          <TR vAlign=3Dtop>
            <TD>
              <DIV align=3Dright><FONT face=3Dsans-serif =
size=3D1>Subject</FONT></DIV>
            <TD><FONT face=3Dsans-serif size=3D1>Re: Monarchs and =
Monoculture in=20
              southern Michigan</FONT></TR></TBODY></TABLE><BR>
        <TABLE>
          <TBODY>
          <TR vAlign=3Dtop>
            <TD>
            =
<TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><BR></TR></TBODY></TABLE><BR><BR><BR><FONT=20
  size=3D2><TT>Carolyn King wrote:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Paul,<BR>&gt; We have =
discussed=20
  this before. We all know that the Monarchs and Painted<BR>&gt; Ladies =
are=20
  migrants. They did not originate in the places you are<BR>&gt; =
photographing=20
  them.<BR><BR>Carolyn, monarch caterpillars are abundant right =
now<BR>right=20
  next to the genetically modified crops:in the places<BR>I have been=20
  photographing the clustering and nectaring adults<BR>(southern =
Minnesota and=20
  northern Iowa) , plus countless thousands<BR>of monarch chrysalids =
emerging=20
  everyday in these same row<BR>crop areas.<BR><BR>Here's photographic=20
  proof:<BR><BR>Here's the Roundup Ready soybean crop monoculture =
and<BR>a patch=20
  of milkweed at Lakota,=20
  Iowa<BR>http://www.saber.net/~monarch/lakotac.jpg<BR><BR>Here's a =
monarch=20
  caterpillar on this same exact patch of milkweed<BR>taken 4 days ago:=20
  http://www.saber.net/~monarch/lakotab.jpg<BR><BR>Here are monarch =
caterpillars=20
  I photographed last year<BR>in August on this same exact patch of =
milkweed at=20
  Lakota,=20
  =
Iowa<BR>http://www.saber.net/~monarch/larvaeelakota.jpg<BR><BR>Likewise =
with=20
  the Painted Ladies; the countless thousands<BR>of Painted Lady adults =
in Iowa=20
  right now are in newly<BR>emerged condition and the adults are not=20
  displaying<BR>directional flight, hence it is reasonable to assume=20
  they<BR>originated in=20
  =
Iowa<BR><BR>http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/gilc.jpg<BR>=
<BR>An=20
  outbreak of Painted Ladies also occurred in Iowa in<BR>July - Sept=20
  =
2003<BR>http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/plbestt.jpg<BR><=
BR>I=20
  do agree that the *parent* butterflies of these Monarchs<BR>and =
Painted Ladies=20
  currently in Iowa &amp; Minnesota did not<BR>necessarily originate in =
Iowa=20
  &amp; Minnesota.<BR><BR>Paul Cherubini<BR>El Dorado,=20
  =
-----=20
  <BR><BR>&nbsp; For subscription and related information about LEPS-L=20
  visit:<BR><BR>&nbsp; http://www.peabody.yale.edu/other/lepsl=20
  <BR><BR><BR></TT></FONT><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C5A506.819D8CA0--