Effect of Endosulphan insecticide on Lepidoptera

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Wed Dec 21 15:35:03 EST 2005

Kishen.Das at gxs.com wrote:

> For last few months we are seeing hundreds of butterflies
> dying in the kerala state of India in a Mango Plantation.Here they are
> using Endosulphan extensively. The species which are affected
> are Euploea core, Euploea sylvester, Tirumala limniace, Tirumala
> septentrionis, Pachliopta hector, Papilio polymnestor and Danaus
> genutia.

If you are seeing hundreds of butterflies dying despite
many years of using of endosulphan then it would appear
that butterflies have remained abundant despite it's use.

Here is one university website that says endosulphan "is
relatively nontoxic to beneficial insects such as parasitic wasps, lady
bird beetles, and some mites"
http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/endosulf.htm

Paul Cherubini