Killing moths

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Thu Jul 14 13:02:43 EDT 2005

Phil,

It is surely wise to respect the lives of any creature, butterflies and
moths included. Nonetheless, all animals live on the lives of creatures
they eat. Even vegetarians depend on widespread disruption of natural
habitats (I'm talking about farms compared to forests and grasslands)
which leads to the deaths of many insects for every meal you eat. As
every lepster is happy to point out, cars take more leps than even the
most diligent butterfly collectors.

It is theoretically possible to live a life where very little harm is
done (consider the Jains of India), but impossible in practice. I would
aim at getting the most knowledge, wisdom and experience (which is where
humans can hope to shine) out of the tiny lives we inevitably shorten.

The reason scientific collecting may be somewhat more justifiable than
"recreational" collecting is that the knowledge accumulated can be
longer-lasting and more wide-spread. But there is often no clear
distinction. Many recreational collectors pass their collections on to
insect museums. Recreationalists pass their data and ideas on to
scientists through forums such as this. And most insect researchers
start off as "recreational" collectors.

Ultimately, the main reason that mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians
are no longer automatically collected for University "ology" courses is
the increase in human population and the heavy toll such collections
could make on vertebrate populations (there are of course other reasons
also: legal, financial, the satisfaction of vertebrate care and use
protocols, and the diminished influence of taxonomists compared to
ecologists and ethologists in academic vertebrate research).. We still
tend to make collections in Entomology and Plant taxonomy for standard
courses, mainly because the population sizes tend to be higher. It is
very rare indeed that insect collectors substantially affect insect
populations.

I don't consider this argument to be a clear and closed case. I spend
hours each year arguing this stuff out with my children, two of whom are
very vegetarian and with my wife who collects lots of ticks and fleas as
a veterinary epidemiologist, but can hardly bear to see me collect a
bumblebee (halictids don't bother her as much) or a butterfly. It is
good that we care so much about these creatures. But it is good to get
some perspective.

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu