Moth Traps

Phil Cross pj_cross at fastmail.fm
Sun Jun 19 04:30:18 EDT 2005

Repeat posting - now I am a member of the list :

My 7 year old grandson is very interested in the natural world. I
would like to make a moth trap for when he next visits, and have found
plenty of information in this group's archives, and on the web.
However, there is one aspect of their operation which I don't
understand, and I am sure to be asked .

My problem is this -

I understand that moths at night are attracted to a light, and have
read debates about why this should be. However, when a moth decides to
come to the light on a light trap, why does it then decide to crawl
downwards through a restricted opening into a container below the
light?

Please could someone help?

Regards, Phil.