Compairing Stalleicken & Reppert papers

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Wed Jun 22 01:16:55 EDT 2005

> Ed Reinertsen wrote:
>
> Stalleicken's conclusion;
>
> " In conclusion, our study shows that monarchs can use their
> time-compensated sun compass to orient in their normal
> south-southwesterly migratory direction without relying on
> polarized light information.  Thus, it seems to be the sun
> and/or the associated light intensity and spectral gradients
> rather than the pattern of polarized light in the sky that plays
> the key role in the monarch's time-compensated sun compass
> guiding the butterflies on their way to Mexico."

Some tagged fall migrant monarchs that have been released in
Arizona, New Mexico and southern California in mid-Sept. - early
October were later recaptured at overwintering sites along
the central California coast, indicating the migrants
flew in westerly and northwesterly directions...in the Autumn !!
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/mapaz.jpg

I wonder what Stalleicken et al would say about that?

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.