Compairing Stalleicken & Reppert papers

Ed Reinertsen ereinertsen at iprimus.com
Thu Jun 23 10:38:46 EDT 2005

Paul and all,

Two things:
First
Paul asked:
 Some tagged fall migrant monarchs that have been released in
> Arizona, New Mexico and southern California in mid-Sept. - early
> October were later recaptured at overwintering sites along
> the central California coast, indicating the migrants
> flew in westerly and northwesterly directions...in the Autumn !!
> http://www.saber.net/~monarch/mapaz.jpg

I can't speck for Julia Stalleicken or the other researches from
Germany,Switzerland, and Canada but I can say that the paper says that the
331 wild monarchs tested were in a fattened condition from the Northern
shores of Lake Ontario during the autumn migration 2003 & 2004. This would
be one of the Eastern Populations. Not one of the Western Populations.

Monarchs that don't fly the norm, could be genetically defective or just
lost.
Ron some time back had mentioned that one possibility could be there could
be a flexible
migratory instinct for multidirectional migratory routs.

If you would like to ask more about this paper and to get a copy, you could
send them an e-mail. Here is the information.
"Dear Listreaders,
I saw that our most recent paper in JEB has been mentioned on the list. If
anybody, who does not have institutional access to Journal of Experimental
Biology wants a pdf-file of the paper, please do not hesitate to contact
either myself at henrik.mouritsen at uni-oldenburg.de or Julia Stalleicken on
julia.stalleicken at uni-oldenburg.de  We will sent you a copy by email right
away.
Kind regards
Henrik Mouritsen"

2nd

Paul, or anyone else do you have information/referances on the sex ratio M/F
on the main eastern monarch population? I looked on Google
last night and couldn't find anything on the sex ratio on the Eastern
Monarch
Populations.

Maybe looking in the wrong places, and there is somewhere a baseline to work
with.

I did find this information on the Western Monarch population.

Frey, D. F., Leong, K. L. H. 1993. Can microhabitat selection of differences
in `catchability' explain male-biased sex ratios in overwintering
populations of monarch butterflies? Animal Behaviour 45:1025-1027

Nylin, S., Wickman, P.-O., Wiklund, C. 1995. An adaptive explanation for
male-biased sex ratios in overwintering monarch butterflies. Animal
Behaviour 49:511-514

Frey, D. F., Leong, K. L. H. 1995. Reply to Nylin, Wickman & Wiklund
regarding sex ratios of California overwintering monarch butterflies. Animal
Behaviour 49:515-518

Thank You!

Ed Reinertsen