Mosquito control

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Fri May 6 18:45:18 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stanley A. Gorodenski" <stan_gorodenski at asualumni.org>

> Everyone else has to live with them. Why should Florida uniquely feel
> the need for such extensive spraying? There is only one reason that I
> can see - corporate big money and greed. In my opinion if people want to
> live in Florida than they need to learn to put up with mosquitoes
> instead of spraying the daylights out of everything, irregardless of
> whether or not it has an impact on butterflies.
***************

It's the law there and the law in lots of other high risk areas for
mosquito borne disease (including where I live in coastal SC.)    Ask the
Fl legislature and health depts. I'd also blame it on the _visitors_ to FL
rather than those who "live there".  Kill them and they'll come - there is
no business in Fl bigger than tourism.  And that is a mom and pop thing in
FL not a few big corporations.

EVERYONE in FL makes part of their living from tourism.  And eco-tourism is
part of the pie too.  Perhaps this is why a national marine sanctuary was
forced on the _residents_ of Monroe Co. (the Keys) despite the fact that
they voted by 55% that they didn't want it because of the negative effect
many feared it would have on their local lifestyles?

The Hribar report points out something people don't seem to ever think of
(not me either).   The impact of all those mosquitoes on wildlife and pets.
Imagine an endangered Key Deer with a couple thousand mosquitoes sucking
its blood all night.   When humans alter an environment so that more rats,
roaches, mosquitoes and other harmful critters are able to multiply to
unnatural levels what's wrong with those same humans getting rid of them?

Ron Gatrelle
(fomrer FL resident)