Mosquito control

Stanley A. Gorodenski stan_gorodenski at asualumni.org
Fri May 6 22:45:41 EDT 2005

Ron Gatrelle wrote:

>The Hribar report points out something people don't seem to ever think of
>(not me either).   The impact of all those mosquitoes on wildlife and pets.
>Imagine an endangered Key Deer with a couple thousand mosquitoes sucking
>its blood all night.   When humans alter an environment so that more rats,
>roaches, mosquitoes and other harmful critters are able to multiply to
>unnatural levels what's wrong with those same humans getting rid of them?

To counter (for the sake of argument only), you have already said in
of it. This was the justification in those posts for saying that those
who criticize Man for altering the environment are off base because Man
is just another creature on this earth, like the deer, bear, etc, and is
part of nature. Thus, his activities are not any more unnatural than
those of the deer, bear, etc. Accepting this view point for the sake of
discussion, it follows then that if humans alter the environment it is a
"natural" occurrence, not an "unnatural" one, and so the rise in harmful
critters (assuming they are rising to extra dangerous levels because of
human activity) due to human alteration of the environment cannot be
"unnatural". It has to be a "natural" occurrence and, therefore,
claiming they are at "unnatural" levels it is not a valid argument to
justify getting rid of them.

Stan
(p.s., just having some spare time and having fun arguing)