Mosquito control No Mo

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sun May 8 15:43:10 EDT 2005

On Sunday 08 May 2005 19:52, Patrick Foley wrote:
> Neil,
>
> Ron is doing scientific taxonomic work by collecting information,
> organizing it and spreading it. He does seem to have a
> conclusions-jumping problem, but if there were a twelve-step program for
> that, we would all still be in denial.
>
> Patrick

I'f rather not get personal about this but I didn't explain my self well
before.

 Is he doing _scientific_ taxonomic work? Probably yes possibly no.

The definition of scientist I mention is in the Oxford English Dictionary. I
may be paraphrasing slightly but it is broadest definition there "a person
using Scientific methods." This is the meaning you use above.

However I would question whether Ron actually fits the definition on times.
We all may be guily of conclusions-jumping at times but it is a consistent
feature of Ron's postings. He makes, for example false conclusions about
someone's age on the basis of no evidence, repeatedly makes conspiratorial
claims about motives, and gets things badly wrong as a result.

Worse still he hitches his waggon to silly  anti-science ideas
like "Intelligent  Design".  You know this stuff is dangerous nonsense.

Ron is probably a nice guy but he needs to learn to think a bit.

The risk he is taking is that people will see his postings and form the
conclusion that the same lack of care is taking place in his taxonomic work.

I know from my private correpondance that....

THIS IS ALREADY HAPPENING.

Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk