Do insects feel pain?

Nick Greatorex-Davies ngd at ceh.ac.uk
Mon May 23 05:15:35 EDT 2005

Hi,

Can anyone answer this question for me please? I remember being told
that insects do not have pain receptors. Is this true? Clearly they are
able to 'feel' as they respond to various stimulae. Here in the UK there
are many well-meaning conservation minded people who talk of being cruel
to insects, of causing them pain, or of insects being distressed. Any
thoughts or solid factual information please?

Many thanks
Nick Greatorex-Davies
CEH Monks Wood, Abbots Ripton, Huntingdon UK
DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail or any files
transmitted with it are those of the author and do not represent the
views of NERC unless otherwise explicitly stated. The information
contained in this e-mail may be subject to public disclosure under the
Freedom of Information Act 2000. Unless the information is legally
exempt from disclosure, the confidentiality of this e-mail and your
reply cannot be guaranteed.