[Fwd: Other: Arthropod lab cultures & Wolbachia]

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Sun May 29 12:51:34 EDT 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Other: Arthropod lab cultures & Wolbachia
Date: 	Sun, 29 May 2005 01:13:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: 	evoldir at evol.biology.mcmaster.ca
To: 	patfoley at csus.edu

I am looking for samples of arthropods of all types that are maintained
as laboratory cultures.  I will be testing them for the presence of
Wolbachia.  Wolbachia is an endosymbiotic bacteria that infects
somewhere between 20-75% of all arthropod species and manipulates their
hosts in a number of ways, most notably by manipulating reproduction.

If anyone has any arthropods (other than Drosophila in the melanogaster
subgroup) that they maintain and would be willing to let me test them
for Wolbachia, please write to me at mclark11 at mail.rochester.edu.  We
can then arrange for easy shipping of material (5-10 female insects in
95% ethanol is prefered).  I will be able to let you know if your
organisms are infected, and if so, with which Wolbachia strain.

If interested, please email me and I will send you shipping information.

Thanks,
Michael Clark

Department of Biology
University of Rochester