Help Needed: info on German lepidopterist Theodor Reuss

Lawrence F. Gall lawrence.gall at yale.edu
Sun Oct 9 16:16:17 EDT 2005

I'm forwarding this on behalf of Laszlo Krecsak in
Budapest, if anyone can help with his inquiry
about Theodor Reuss, you can reach Laszlo at:

László Krecsák
Eötvös Loránd University
Dep. Syst. Zool. & Ecol.
Pázmány P. s 1/C
H-1117  Budapest Hungary
email: lkrecsak at gmail.com
homepage: http://members.lycos.co.uk/lkrecsak

>Dear all,
>I have some questions related to the life and work of a German amateur
>Lepidoteriologist Theodor Reuss (in some papers FAT Reuss).
>I do not work with lepidoptera, but with Vipers, and because my thesis
>is on systematics, I needed to go through the types designated by this
>guy. He was a truth freak when talking about his works on vipers,
>described more than 50 forms only from Europe, and as I see he had a
>somehow similar working method with Lepidoptera as well. As, no one
>ewer wrote anything about this guy in a herpetetological perspective,
>I wish to write a small note about his life, works  and make a
>publication list as well. The list with his herpetological papers is
>almost complete, and I was thinking about to write a few lines about
>his other works as well, might be make a list of these too.
>
>I did not found to much about him up to now, I now only that he was
>born in 1873 lived and sometimes worked on the collection of the
>Museum in Berlin. He donated/soled material to this museum.
>
>Does any of you knows anything about him? When did he worked, when did
>he died, might be knows about a necrolog, or any paper about him in an
>entomological journal?
>
>My other question is related to his works: I searched the site
>http://www.funet.fi/pub/sci/bio/life/insecta/lepidoptera for names by
>Reuss and found quite many.
>
>Could any of you send me the correct citation of these works?
>
>aquilonaris palinoides (Reuss, 1919) Boloria Nymphalidae
>
>Fabriciana Reuss, 1920; Entomologische Mitteilungen, H. 9/12: 92
>
>Reuss, T. (1921) Soc. Ent., 4:.
>
>Reuss, T. (1922): Deutsche Entomologische Zeitschrift, 27.III.1922.
>
>Fabriciana Reuss, 1922; Reuss, T. (1922). Eine Androconialform von
>"Argynnis" niobe L., f.n., und durch entsprechende gekennzeichnete
>ostasiatische Formen oder Arten, die bisher zu "adippe" L. (rect.
>cydippe L.) gerechnet wurden, sich aber nunmehr durch Art und
>Verteilung der Androconien abtrennen lassen. Mit einer Revision des
>"Genus Argynnis F". Arch. Naturgesch. 87(A)(II): 180-230
>F. n. intermedia Reuss, 1925
>
>Reuss, T. (1926) Deutsche Entomologische Zeitschrift, H. 32.
>
>Reuss F. A. T., 1935: Mesoacidalia aglaia (L.), f. h. heinrichi, f. h.
>nov. Mit einigen allgemeinen Bemerkungen zum Melanismus, zur Homoeosis
>und Hetereosis bei Tagfaltern, sowei zur Nomenclatur. 13 pp.
>
>Ichnusa Reuss, 1939 Reuss, 1939; Ent. Z. 53: 3,
>

>These are the papers by him, that I found up to now:
>Reuss, T. (1921): Neue Beiträge zur Artfrage, zur Variation und zur
>natürlichen Gruppierung der Dryadinae. (Lep.). Entomologische
>Mitteilungen, Dahlem, Bd. X, 6: 186-191+1 Tab.
>Reuss, Th. (1921): Die Formen von Papilio antimachus Drury im Berliner
>Museum. Eine monographische Skizze an Hand der bisherigen Literatur
>mit biotechnischen Ausblicken. Archiv für Naturgeschichte, Berlin,
>Abt. A, 11: 230-241.
> [...]

Lawrence F. Gall, Ph.D.
Head, Computer Systems Office &
Curatorial Affiliate in Entomology