Predators on Butterflies

Stan Gorodenski stan_gorodenski at asualumni.org
Fri Sep 23 19:54:03 EDT 2005

This is not intended to start up the collector-anti collecting debate.
For the past 3 weeks or so I have been going to one of the few spots not
sprayed by pesticides for various reasons. I have never seen so many
crab spiders in sunflowers and other yellow flowers of composits and
they are really having a feast on the butterflies in the area, including
bot flies and even bees. One could almost make a lep collection by
grabbing the prey from the spiders. I did this yesterday and got a
perfect Zerene cesonia(?). Those in the past those, such as Ron
Gatrelle, who have pointed out how much more an impact predators, rather
than collectors, have on butterflies sure hit the nail on the head.
Stan