California Sees worst Butterfly Season in 35 years Butterfly Season in 35 years

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Thu Aug 24 11:44:29 EDT 2006

Paul,

You disagree with what? That normally there are greater flights of
whites and sulfurs?

My point is not that there are no butterflies in the Central Valley or
in Davis. Of course there are and I said so. My point is that there are
far fewer this year based on people's experience who live here and who
make comparable observation efforts each year. I did misstate Davis for
my yard, and fixed that in an earlier post. I have seen more butterflies
in Davis than in my yard. The tidy thing about my yard as a sampling
unit is that I spend similar amounts of time in it each year. And
_always_ see far more butterflies. This is a bad year for butterflies in
the northern Central Valley. Do you disagree with that?

Patrick