Are mosquitoes blind?

Charles V Covell Jr. covell at louisville.edu
Fri Jul 14 13:41:54 EDT 2006

Carolyn, I have often seen mosquitoes at MV and blacklight setups I use
for moths.  Also, we use CDC light traps in KY for night-active
Culicidae, but I don't think they are MV.  Some species definitely do
come to MV and UV lights.  Cheers, Charlie

>>> Carolyn King <cking at YorkU.CA> 07/14/06 12:38 PM >>>
This is an interesting question.  I've never seen mosquitoes coming to
mercury vapour lights.  Perhaps it's regional, different species?  I've
run MV lights mainly around Toronto, but also places in B.C., Costa
Rica,
Guyana, Texas and Washington.
I used to run a UV light now and then (Toronto, Point Pelee, Manitoulin
Island), and I don't remember mosquitoes gathering around them either.
seldom wear insect repellent, so I should have noticed.
What have others experienced?
Carolyn King
Toronto

"OscartheGrouch" <Tondaleo at hotmail.com>
Sent by: owner-leps-l at lists.yale.edu
07/14/06 06:52 AM
Please respond to
Tondaleo at hotmail.com

leps-l at lists.yale.edu
cc

Subject
Re: Are mosquitoes blind?

"Bernardo Rossi" <b.rossi at tin.it> wrote in message
news:6jreb256nh1t7dppatlnduimgoo9lr025o at 4ax.com...

> The female mosquitoes, which go around stinging people,
> they are attracted by carbon dioxide and various scents.
> Now the question is: are they blind or do they see?
> Or also: do they get attracted by the UV lamps with the high voltage
> grids, which fry normal flies?
>

> --
>
> Byebye from Verona, Italy
>
> Bernardo Rossi              b.rossi at tin.it

They have functional compound eyes. I get many at mercury vapor lights
depending on where I am.