Hemeroblemma opigena Status In Florida

Hugh McGuinness hmcguinness at ross.org
Sat Dec 22 00:21:13 EST 2007

Kimball (1965) lists at least 16 records of H. opigena, however, only 1 is
north of the southern third of the peninsula, and that was from Gainesville.
All the other records are from southern FL: Miami, Coral Gables, Florida
City, Paradise Key and Dade Co. The dates listed by Kimball range from
February to October, with many being seen in September, so your December
sighting may be a new date. The species is not listed at James Adams¹
Georgia Leps website, nor is it on the South Carolina checklist website, nor
is it mentioned by Forbes, so my guess is that it is confined to Florida. It
would be interesting to hear from Brou about whether he has taken it in
Louisiana. Also I would recommend trying to find a copy of Heppner¹s
treatment of Florida Leps, which might be available at the McGuire Center or
the Florida State Museum at UF.

Hugh

Hugh McGuinness
The Ross School