"dire straits faced by most of our butterfly fauna"

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Tue May 1 14:36:58 EDT 2007

No one is goint to argue that "overdevelopment" has been going on at an
alarming rate everywhere in the U.S., including here in eastern
Massachusetts (in our neighborhood for example). Condominium
construction is going on at a "fever pace"...However, I understand that
the condo market is also cooling (thanksfully)...Habitat destruction is
a concern...for sure...

However, Roger, I wanted to ask: What are the 5 to 10 butterfly species
in southeast Michigan that are either extinct or in trouble? Regal
Fritillary decline is well-known, although this may have most to do with
the decline of a Prairie-species in regions in which "prairies" are
being overgrown by forest succcessions; and the Regal has NEVER been
common either in Ontario OR Michigan...Lupine feeders (Karner Blue,
Frosted Elfin ecotype) have been similarly declining over the past few
decades - and this is quite apparently connected also with secondary
succession; however the irus-feeding Frosted Elfin ecotype is holding
its own (at least here in the northeast)...As far as I know, (at least)
most species in Michigan and Ontario are in healthy shape overall...

Conservationists should be most concerned about, however, stopping these
wars that are going on all over the globe. That's the most destructive
aspect to man's "activities" on the planet. Much more than "habitat" is
lost.

Alex