"dire straits faced by most of our butterfly fauna"

patfoley patfoley at csus.edu
Tue May 1 19:36:55 EDT 2007

Paul,

Sometimes conservationsists use the analogy of endangered species as
canaries in a coal mine. Canaries are chosen because their high
metabolism makes them succumb _before_ the miner does.

Monarchs, Cabbage Whites and other weedy species are not good canaries.
We are talking weevils in the coal mine, garden slugs in the coal mine.
If Art Shapiro is right, that even weedy butterfly species are not
looking good in the Central Valley, then we are past the canary stage.
Time to see what is going on. Or time to argue that somebody somewhere
exaggerated about something once. Your choice.

Patrick