"dire straits faced by most of our butterfly fauna"

Roger Kuhlman rkuhlman at hotmail.com
Wed May 2 17:01:09 EDT 2007

Alex,

There are still a few Zebra Swallowtails in the southeast Michigan region. I and two other observers have each seen one Zebra Swallowtail over the past five years (three separate butterflies). In the relatively recent past, the species definitely bred both in both Washtenaw and Monroe counties. In two other sites one in Lenawee and one in Wayne county, breeding was also most likely. These claims are based on butterflies caught and information given to me by the late Professor Warren(Herb) Wagner of the University of Michigan. Professor Wagner was a noted Michigan lepidopterist who did some academic studies of butterfly biology besides his main work in botany.

Until our area rivers were damned and heavily managed and their forest edges severely trimmed, I would bet Paw-paw was a pretty common plant in area river floodplains. If that was true, it is most likely the region's Zebra Swallowtail population was quite healthy.

Respectfully,

Roger Kuhlman
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Subject: RE: "dire straits faced by most of our butterfly fauna"Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 16:22:05 -0400From: agrkovich at tmpeng.comTo: rkuhlman at hotmail.com; leps-l at lists.yale.edu

Yeah, but again, Roger, at least in one case (and probably more) you are speaking of (a) species that has never been anything but rare or uncommon there, and presenting it/them as a species "...in decline"...There are examples of species that I am sure can no longer be found in most parts of Greater Boston, but I'm not going to write now and claim that these butterflies are "in trouble"...

I lived in rural southwestern Onytario in the early 60's, and I never saw a Zebra Swallowtail until I moved to North Carolina...then I saw tons of them...

Alex

From: Roger Kuhlman [mailto:rkuhlman at hotmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 4:20 PMTo: Grkovich, Alex; leps-l at lists.yale.eduSubject: RE: "dire straits faced by most of our butterfly fauna"
Alex, My comments related to endangerment and scarcity of certain butterflies refer specifically to the Southeast Michigan counties of Monroe, Wayne, Lenawee, and Washtenaw. I am not making any statements about the status of these butterflies in the rest of Michigan. Each of the butterflies I noted is either extinct, threatened with extinction, or severely declining in the local region. There is no exageration or excessive hype here. Oh how I wish there was and each of these species was doing well or at least ok. Respectfully, Roger KuhlmanAnn Arbor, Michigan

Roger,

First of all, you're talking about the specific parts of SE Michigan that have been swallowed up by suburban Detroit. This is NOT at all happening across the State. Also:

Persius Duskywing is probably indigenous to the west; it is uncommon to rare everywhere in the East, regardless of development or not... Bog Copper is not in any kind of trouble, is common in the right habitat everywhere. Zebra Swallowtail has never been common, and has always been sporadic with colonies coming and going, in southeastern Michigan or in adjacent Ontario - it is often extremely common in its typical southern locales. Swamp Metalmark is a problem - yes. Brown Elfin? I have to avoid stepping all over them over here; you gotta be kidding...Ditto for Harris Checkerspot and Indian Skipper. Pipevine Swallowtail is not at all in trouble (Bob Kriegel, pers. com.). Columbine Duskywing has for a long time been rare. Compton Tortoiseshell: You gotta be kidding again; just go to Scott Bog in N NH, plus this one is notorious for "periodicity". Two Spotted Skipper is common in its right habitat and is easily overlooked.

I guess my point is that everyone knows that man's selfish and greedy activities are a problem to those of us who care for the Creation. But let's not get into excessive hype.

Alex

From: Roger Kuhlman [mailto:rkuhlman at hotmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 12:21 PMTo: Grkovich, Alex; Leps ListSubject: RE: "dire straits faced by most of our butterfly fauna"
Some of the other butterfly species that have probably gone extinct the last 35 years in southeast Michigan (Lenawee, Wayne, Washtenaw, and Monroe counties) are Persius Duskywing, Mottled Duskywing, Bog Copper and Indian Skipper. Several others including Zebra Swallowtail, Swamp Metalmark, Dusted Skipper, Brown Elfin, Harris' Checkerspot, Pipevine Swallowtail, Columbine Duskywing, Compton's Tortoise Shell, and Two-spotted Skipper are either on the verge of extinction or only vagrants today. The Mitchell's Satyr population in the area is very small and easily could be snuffed out. Most of this damage can be directly linked to habitat loss or fragmentation and the strict control of natural disturbance forces like fires and flooding. The introduction and spread of a number of invasive non-native plants have played significant supporting roles in the harm that has been done. The worst hit habitats are various prairie-type habitats and the now, uncommon wetland habitats like fens and bogs. The negative changes in these productive habitats are human induced. With fewer people living in our area and less development all these habitats would be in much better shape than they are today. Roger KuhlmanAnn Arbor, Michigan> No one is goint to argue that 'overdevelopment' has been going on at an> alarming rate everywhere in the U.S., including here in eastern> Massachusetts (in our neighborhood for example). Condominium> construction is going on at a 'fever pace'...However, I understand that> the condo market is also cooling (thanksfully)...Habitat destruction is> a concern...for sure...> > However, Roger, I wanted to ask: What are the 5 to 10 butterfly species> in southeast Michigan that are either extinct or in trouble? Regal> Fritillary decline is well-known, although this may have most to do with> the decline of a Prairie-species in regions in which 'prairies' are> being overgrown by forest succcessions; and the Regal has NEVER been> common either in Ontario OR Michigan...Lupine feeders (Karner Blue,> Frosted Elfin ecotype) have been similarly declining over the past few> decades - and this is quite apparently connected also with secondary> succession; however the irus-feeding Frosted Elfin ecotype is holding> its own (at least here in the northeast)...As far as I know, (at least)> most species in Michigan and Ontario are in healthy shape overall...> > Conservationists should be most concerned about, however, stopping these> wars that are going on all over the globe. That's the most destructive> aspect to man's 'activities' on the planet. Much more than 'habitat' is> lost.> > Alex> > -----Original Message-----> From: owner-leps-l at lists.yale.edu [mailto:owner-leps-l at lists.yale.edu]> On Behalf Of Paul Cherubini> Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 5:37 PM> To: leps-l at lists.yale.edu> Subject: Re: 'dire straits faced by most of our butterfly fauna'> > Roger Kuhlman wrote:> > > I too found this article excellent and glad it was posted. We here in > > southeast Michigan have not been having droughts but we have a huge > > problem with habitat destruction and isolated patches of habitat. I > > wish we had detailed, rigourous observations going back 35 years here.> > I am sure they would also show a serious decline in butterfly > > populations.> > Roger, if the habitat destruction has been 'huge' then you could> document it via the historical aerial photos that are available in your> larger local university libraries (map depts. of the libraries) and> compare them with recent Google Earth photos. > > Google Earth is a cool new tool that can be used to show what is really> going on with butterfly habitats. For example, on the south island of> New Zealand a couple entomologists have written a phamplet about the> monarch overwintering sites in the city of Chirstchurch. In the phamplet> they say the monarch numbers seem to be increasing:> http://www.ccc.govt.nz/parks/theenvironment/MonarchButterflies.pdf> > Here's the general location of the city of Christchurch, New Zealand:> http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/ccisland.jpg> And here's an aerial view of the general location of the three monarch> overwintering sites in Christchurch :> http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/ccover.jpg> > Here is what the phamplet says about the St. James Park overwintering> site in Christchurch:> http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/stjam.jpg> And here is an actual Google Earth photo of the site:> http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/ccstj.jpg> > Here is what the phamplet says about the Abberley Park overwintering> site in Christchurch:> http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/abb.jpg> And here is an actual Google Earth photo of the site:> http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/ccaber.jpg> > Here is what the phamplet says about the Ruru Lawn Cemetery> overwintering site in Christchurch:> http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/ruru.jpg> And here is an actual Google Earth photo of the site:> http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/ccruru.jpg> > Thus Google Earth provides indisputable physical evidence that monarch> butterflies in New Zealand are choosing and using man made overwintering> habitats in an extremely urbanized setting even though much more natural> and rural habitats are available nearby. > > Paul Cherubini> El Dorado, Calif.> > > ------------------------------------------------------------ > > For subscription and related information about LEPS-L visit:> > http://www.peabody.yale.edu/other/lepsl > > > > CAUTION PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this transmission is> intended to be sent only to the stated recipient of the transmission.> If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the intended> recipient's agent, you are hereby notified that we do not intend to waive> any privilege that might ordinarily be attached to this communication. Any> dissemination, distribution or copying of the information contained in this> transmission is therefore prohibited. You are further asked to notify us of> any such error in transmission as soon as possible at the telephone> number/email address shown above. Thank you for your cooperation.> > > > > > ------------------------------------------------------------ > > For subscription and related information about LEPS-L visit:> > http://www.peabody.yale.edu/other/lepsl > > CAUTION PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this transmission isintended to be sent only to the stated recipient of the transmission.If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the intendedrecipient's agent, you are hereby notified that we do not intend to waiveany privilege that might ordinarily be attached to this communication. Anydissemination, distribution or copying of the information contained in thistransmission is therefore prohibited. You are further asked to notify us ofany such error in transmission as soon as possible at the telephonenumber/email address shown above. Thank you for your cooperation.