Review of "Swallowtail Butterflies of the Americas"

Hank Brodkin hbrodkin at cox.net
Sat Oct 11 16:38:02 EDT 2008

I recently received a copy of Tyler et al, "Swallowtail Butterflies of the
Americas".
There are some reviews on the inside front cover.  One of them is by Dr.
Gerardo Lamas that says:
"A highly controversial but engrossing book, chock-full with valuable
information; you can either enjoy or be enraged by its contents, but it will
never leave you bored or indifferent."

Now this language sounds a little like our current political campaign.  I am
curious.  I could imagine that Dr. Lamas is referring to the taxonomy, but
since I have not yet obtained his Neotropical Atlas, I have no way of
comparing the two works.
Or is there something else in the book that might cause a rise in
temperature among some folks.

I don't want to start a flame war here - so perhaps if there are great
differences that might engender overly strong feelings - please reply to me
personally.

Thanks!

Hank Brodkin
Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ
hbrodkin at cox.net
"Butterflies of Arizona - a Photographic Guide"
"Finding Butterflies in Arizona - a Guide to the Best Sites"
http://members.cox.net/hbrodkin/