Lepidoptera Course in June

Hugh McGuinness hmcguinness at ross.org
Thu Apr 29 00:32:41 EDT 2010

Hello Lep-lovers (Please excuse the cross-post)

I am writing to let you know about a wonderful Lep course being
offered in June at Eagle Hill in Maine. Even though many of you might
never consider taking a course, I enrolled several years ago, and it
was an incredible experience that propelled me into doing research on
Leps. The instructor Brian Scholtens, who is a professor at the
College of Charleston, is a wonderful teacher, with a comprehensive
knowledge of butterflies and moths. His entomological knowledge is so
comprehensive that I remember during lectures feeling as if I could
imagine what it is like to be an insect. Further, he will mold the
course to fit the interests of students; so for example, it can be
geared towards butterflies if that is the interest of most of the
students. I have even heard a rumor that participants in the course
will have the option of participating in a Bioblitz at the station.

The Humboldt Research Station, where the course takes place, is rustic
but with very nice accomodations. It is in a beautiful setting located
along the upper coast in Maine. There is a great diversity of habitats
to explore both at the station and in the surrounding area, which
results in a large number of species being encountered. I remember
photographing moths (many of which I have not seen since) to the calls
of both Barred and Saw Whet Owl. The food was excellent.

A description of the course, as well as the list of the courses
offered at the station, can be found at: http://www.eaglehill.us/programs/nhs/nhs-calendar.shtml
. There is a second, simultaneous course at the station (this year on
sterile crustose lichens, of all things), which makes for interesting
company at meals.

So if you are looking for a way to expand your knowledge of Leps, or
miss going away to summer camp, or just want to get away from
everything for a highly engaging week, check out the link above. Feel
free to respond to me off-line.

Information on lodging options, meals, and costs may be found at http://www.eaglehill.us/programs/general/application-info.shtml

There is an online application form at http://www.eaglehill.us/programs/general/application-web.shtml

You can contact the station directly at: The Humboldt Institute, PO
Box 9, Steuben, ME 04680-0009.

207-546-2821. Fax 207-546-3042 e-mail: office at eaglehill.us

Hugh

Hugh McGuinness