Fulvia X Theona

JimJoanJoy at aol.com JimJoanJoy at aol.com
Mon Jun 7 16:14:32 EDT 2010

In a message dated 6/7/2010 11:02:18 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
hbrodkin at cox.net writes:

A couple of questions - Can both of these species  use the same paintbrush
and does anyone know the species of this plant.   And does anyone know if
these species ever hybridize?  Also do either of  these ever hybridize with C.
cynea (Black  Checkerspot)?

Hank,

The shrub is Castilleja lanata. They might hybridize but have not seen any
specimens to indicate that they do.

As far as I have seen cyneas and fulvia do not hybridize and remain
reproductively isolated. They rarely are found together despite the close (and I
mean really close) proximity to each other and literature reports to the
contrary. I have only ever seen two fulvia in Garden Canyon. Once there  were
single adults of both fulvia and cyneas on Mimosa ten yards apart near
Scheelite Canyon. That is the only time in 30 years of experience with these two
 that I have seen them together. I wonder if cyneas doesn't occasionally
wander  down to Crump Hill? I almost doubt they do since you don't have it
from your  yard yet do you?

Jim B