Monarch article in Ft Worth Star-Telegram

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Fri Mar 19 15:49:12 EDT 2010

> Monarch butterflies, hit hard by strong storms at their winter home in
> Mexico, have dwindled to their lowest population levels in decades

There were numerous worrisome articles like that back in 2002 too after
a severe mortality event in January and a prediction from Dr. Chip Taylor
that it might take the monarchs "more than one year" to rebound:

http://www.MonarchWatch.org/news/021102.html
"Unfortunately, it appears that the conditions (i.e., soil moisture, predators,
etc.) in Texas and the Midwest will not be as favorable this coming breeding
season. If the population is as low or lower than that of last spring, it could
take the monarchs more than one season to rebound from the freeze of 2002."

However, normal numbers of monarchs returned to the Sanctuaries
10 months later (in the fall of 2002):
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/4ALC/storm.jpg

About 4 weeks ago (Feb. 22) I sent a private email to Alex Grkovich
predicting the Monarch Scientific Establishment would make sure a bunch of
worrisome articles like those that appeared in 2002 would hit national
newspapers "within 2-4 weeks". Today is March 19 so my prediction
was correct.  See below: