monarchs overwintering in Tucson

Jim Mason jim at gpnc.org
Wed Feb 1 10:26:36 EST 2012

Thanks Paul.  I also got this response from another party.

"In mild winters monarchs may spend the winter in Tucson and this year is
certainly one. We've seen them at Desert Survivor's Plant nursery there and
also there are reports of egg-laying in the Tucson area. In Phoenix we have
a large number of monarchs around town this year. We learned last year that
monarchs will survive a hard freeze at Rio Salado Habitat Restoration area
in downtown Phoenix where we've been monitoring for the last five years.
There are also monarchs this winter in Yuma on the CA border.

In Chandler, just SE of Phoenix, I released my last monarch yesterday that
just eclosed from an egg laid in early November. But with our warm first
days of January the monarchs began mating and laying eggs and right now I
have 13 first instars, 10 second instars, 7 third instars, 9 fourth instars
and 1 fifth instar and 9 more eggs on seven plants - there are more outside
that I didn't bring in.  I've never had monarchs continuously since
September when they arrive like I have this year."

Jim Mason, Naturalist
Jim at gpnc.org
Great Plains Nature Center
6232 E. 29th Street North