Oregon Pine White Outbreak featured on PBS show.....

James, David G david_james at wsu.edu
Fri Feb 3 11:59:25 EST 2012

The recent outbreak of Pine Whites (Neophasia menapia) in central Oregon was featured on 'Oregon Wild' which aired on PBS in the PNW last night.

You can catch it online here : http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg

Some cool footage shown including ponds white with , well, whites... also 'blizzard' shots and helicopter windshields smeared with butterflies.....

It was only a few years ago that Dave Nunnallee and I struggled to find wild immature stages of N. menapia for our book "Life Histories of Cascadia Butterflies"
Ironically (to me anyway), the PBS program found them everywhere and even suggested that substantial damage had been caused to pines by Pine White caterpillars.

Dr David G James
Associate Professor of Entomology,
Washington State University,
Prosser, Washington 99350