[Leps-l] [leps-talk] Monarch Armageddon

MexicoDoug mexicodoug at aol.com
Wed Feb 13 02:45:52 EST 2013

"Clearly the extinction of both the eastern and western Monarch
migrations are possible"

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here because I LOVE the monarch
migration and consider it one of the ancient and modern wonders of the
natural world.

But is this intended to be a scientific statement?  If so, let's review
a page from Carl Sagan's playbook on scientific thinking:

"Don't assume the answer, but rather ask whether there is any
independent evidence for the causality assumed in an argument."
"Don't listen to arguments based on ignorance - the claim that whatever
has not been proven false must be true (and vice versa)."

Paul's comments even make me uncomfortable at times, but then (Sagan,
on traps from confusing science with rhetoric)

"Don't give credence to an argument from adverse consequences."

And speaking for myself to myself, out loud (Sagan, again):
Don't get too attached to a hypothesis just because it's yours.
Don't let an argument go down the slippery slope of jumping to the
extreme (this is also a subset of the excluded middle)."
Don't listen to special pleads to rescue an argument in rhetorical
trouble: "You don't understand the big picture."

I do respect all the different points of view on the monarch migration
miracle; and am thankful the issue still enjoys such spirited
discussion.  We should encourage all efforts at quantification on all
sides IMO, and it is important not to get those of us who support the
fun and satisfaction of further research not to be caricatured as
alarmists, since the net effect is a loss of credibility to
Lepidopterists in general.  (This also applies,. Sagan again):

"Don't be selective in making observations (enumerating favorable
circumstances): count the misses as well as the hits."

Best wishes
Doug