[Leps-l] [leps-talk] Monarch Armageddon

MexicoDoug mexicodoug at aol.com
Wed Feb 13 17:14:03 EST 2013

Thanks Bill, and hello all,

With this in mind, IMO, as a unique and majestic phenomenon it is our
responsibility as students of promoting rich and sustainable
biodiversity and the continued appreciation of nature to actively
promote its conservation.  Erring on the side of caution seems a
perfectly reasonable manner to exercise this care.

Relating to monitoring keystone species as indicators for the otherwise
too complex world:

Where I think we are getting into trouble is that in selecting and
generalizing any unwitting indicator of health, whether it be
ecological, cardiological or what you please, the dangers of
predicating arguments, whether scientific in essence, philosophical,
moral by someone's compass, or essentially evangelical, can be
distractions as well as helpful if not backed up solid science.  It
only invites skeptics who are not intimately familiar with the
situation to categorize it into the "Chicken Little - The sky is
falling", "The boy who cried wolf one time too many", and "The end of
the world is at hand, Armageddon hath arrived" category.

I think this is the wrong approach for responsible ecologists.  It
resorts to using the same tactics the truly offensive
anti-environmental preachers use (none of whom post to this list), by
placing scientific credibility into question.  In doing that, we are
completely disarmed.  Once credibility is questioned it is very
difficult and frequently impossible to recover it.  Lepidopterists
might be better served in general by sticking to the science and not
inventing environmental indicators of questionable general utility
which only serves to perpetuate the standoff while real specific issues
are faced daily in terms of habitat encroachment for thousands of
species in a world that will have 8 billion humans competing for
resources in another blink of the eye.

Unfortunately, even statements like mine above can be twisted and
selectively quoted out of context when someone who cares less about
truth and only about giving winning rhetoric gets involved.  To that,
we are at a disadvantage, but it isn't as bleak in many areas as more
of a mentality of natural conservation is evident every day.  Not
talking about regulations and government ... I'm referring to the
general level of appreciation of having nature to retreat into from our
urban sprawl that produces mountains of garbage ;-)

One very positive effect of the Monarch conservation community has been
a general increased awareness of many people who otherwise would never
had known about it.  It, and exquisite butterflies in general, do
provide a very visible reminder of the fragility of the world when we
can touch, tag, watch videos and increase habitat, etc.  I think with
the passage of time this will prove to be the legacy of the use of
Monarchs as poster children for ecological inclined people.  If we
handle it this way, in my opinion, the potential for building consensus
is much greater, as is the ability to use it as a true teaching
laboratory for training future generations of scientists in scientific
methodology.  I have a higher tolerance for scientifically minded
skeptics than most because I don't see anything wrong with questioning
hypotheses.  As a matter of fact, I see everything wrong with
suppressing the scientifically minded opposition's ideas since the
uninformed usually picks up on this before understanding what everyone
is arguing about and tend to develop a soft spot for the suppressed...

Kindest wishes
Doug