[Leps-l] [leps-talk] Monarch Armageddon

John Shuey jshuey at TNC.ORG
Sun Feb 17 20:50:16 EST 2013

First of all shuey never said the following - I'm afraid Jim and I agree that the elephant in the closet is prescribed fire prairie management. These isolated preserves are partially and sometimes totally burned and burned often. If we were to bring it up on the list serve it will start another set of attacks. last year Shuey even wrote in the Lep News that after they (he and the TNC) burned the hell out of their Indiana prairies they now need to work on getting the species back. We call that prairie creationism, right Jim?
What he said was that after planting over 6,000 acres of old crop land to over 600 species of vascular plants, and that we are now waiting for those species that are hiding in the creases – mainly skippers, to move into the restoration.  Perhaps the problem with this entire set of stupid rants is that many of the most vocal participants in these debates aren’t exactly the sharpest tools in the shed.

If you want to just sit around and whine about stuff – that’s fine.  But quit bitching about people like Dr. Taylor who are actually willing to go out and do something about the things they care about.

And<file:///\\And> FYI, things like Poanes massasoit, Euphyes dion, Satyrodes eurydice, Euphyes bimacula, Problema byssus and Speyeria idalia have found their way into the restoration from the creases of those so called poorly managed preserves adjacent to the restoration.  Were in the “willing to actually do something about it world”, we call that conservation.

Shuey

From: leps-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu [mailto:leps-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Jim Wiker
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:52 PM
To: dws1108 at msn.com; leps-l at mailman.yale.edu
Subject: Re: [Leps-l] [leps-talk] Monarch Armageddon

Dennis and Doug,
Both, nicely said, well written and all valid. Dennis, I completely agree. All things combined (it's like a pheasant flying past a dozen shotguns) sooner or later, you're gonna get it. They have little chance. And Doug, to answer one of you questions: these were established populations, especially Ottoe. I left out Sassacus because it was a fringe species, but it appears gone too. Arogos was an anomaly, but the rest were resident breeding populations that at times were huge.
Dennis is right though, these things have as much to worry about from over management as they do development. And, once they're gone (especially skippers) you just can't put them back. Has anyone seen that work yet? They are not like a chalkboard, you can't erase them and think that they can just be relocated. At least in my experiences, when they are gone, they're gone.
Jim Wiker