[Leps-l] [leps-talk] Monarch Armageddon

MexicoDoug mexicodoug at aol.com
Sun Feb 17 22:50:32 EST 2013

"Since this thread began a week ago, US population has increased by
60,000.  That is 1.2 million more acres (1,800 square miles) of habitat
disruption: 500,000 acres in the US and 700,000 acres outsourced. The
total area mentioned is double the area of Champaign County, Illinois."

Bob commented:
"It seems to me that this sort of extrapolation is unreasonable."
[given the surprisingly (relatively) small size of our World Bob
Googled up]

Hi Bob

I don't claim to have sharpened my pencil on the figures of the habitat
footprint a.k.a., ecological footprint.  That is the work of the
"Global Footprint Network".  While none of these things seems free from
clashing views, this particular measure seems to me the best there is
at the moment and seems to be used by quantitative ecologists.

I'm sure you agree that having a measure is very useful, if we are to
make a Pareto diagram of the drains upon our shared natural ecosystem,
both urban and rural, since without such a measure, it is difficult to
monitor any sort of improvement or decline in quality (whether you are
in a business production process or evaluating development pressures on
different habitats) and we get stuck with arm-waving arguments that
remain unresolved).

OK.  I understand both your reaction (IMO that the USA inhabitant, per
capita uses 20 acres is shocking to me at least) and your skepticism
which if I understand it, agrees with the general strategy as
monitoring, but questions whether I should have better divided the 20
acres per person into fixed and variable portions, and therefore only
have selected the incremental (i.e., variable) portion rather than the
full 20 acres.

Can you help me, then?  I'd love to have a more correct number and if
you could give me any input that could pin it down better I certainly
will use your number.  In a prior post I sort of considered this by
arbitrarily saying "even if it is half, in other words, 10 acres" I'm
ok with it.

Let's look at how the number of 19.8 acres per person in the USA was
derived:
Total Ecological Footprint: 19.8 acres
broken down into sub-footprints:

Cropland 2.7 acres
Grazing 0.3 acres
Forest  2.6 acres
Fishing 0.3 acres
Carbon 13.8 acres
Built-up land 0.2 acres

Here's the reference site which has much more detailed information
available:
http://www.footprintnetwork.org/en/index.php/GFN/page/methodology/

And here is the source of the information I referenced:
http://www.footprintnetwork.org/images/uploads/NFA_2010_Results.xls

To directly address your concern about how much of the USA's 20 acres
per person is variable and how much is fixed, I have two observations.
1. In the short term, one net baby or immigrant may not seem to provide
as much drain as the 'average' person.  But this seems to me an
incorrect way to view population dynamics.  For every baby today, there
is a maturing adult tomorrow; for every poor immigrant there is a
lifetime of hard work to obtain middle class status.  It is not the
same as adding another mouth to the dinner table in the long run.  Take
highway construction.  A new road is not built for each addition.
However, over a sufficiently large population such as the United States
definitely is, it averages out in that for all the places that
congestion increases, one place will actually decide it is time to
build a new road.  That is, that over very large populations, many
things we traditionally view as fixed 'costs' may be correctly treated
as purely variable.

2. Cold US Census sourced data available in their website.
a) The average number of inhabitants per house in the USA, decade after
decade, during the same period our population doubled has declined
right to the present day.

b) The average house size steadily increased and has doubled in the
last 50 years and only in the last few has shown signs of a very minor
adjustment back, 10% at most.

c)  The average number of vehicles per capita of the USA has steadily
increased and seems to be leveling off around 0.83 per person. (though
fuel efficiency has increased)

d) USDA ERS data suggest that average daily calorie [per capita] intake
increased by 24.5 percent, or about 530 calories, between 1970 and
2000. Of that 24.5-percent increase, grains (mainly refined grain
products) contributed 9.5 percentage points; added fats and oils 9.0%
...etc.

OK, I am not disagreeing with your comments, but rather adding some
additional considerations to the mix that must be reconciled when
negotiating a reasonable number for the habitat footprint per
additional mouth in the USA.

Thanks for the thoughtful comments and if you can help chose a better
number or want to pull some out since it is not applicable to habitat
conservation in your opinion .. please share your thoughts
Best
Doug