[Leps-l] [leps-talk] Monarch Armageddon

Foley, Patrick patfoley at saclink.csus.edu
Wed Feb 20 12:34:31 EST 2013

Pyle et al. (2010, Xerces Society) estimate commercial Monarch release at about 11 million butterflies/year.

Pathogen and parasite spillover is now well documented from commercial to wild bumblebees (see reviews by Altizer 2012 in the book New Directions in Conservation Medicine and elsewhere). The effect on several North American Bombus species has been enormous  (Robin Thorp).

Sonia Altizer et al.  (2000 in ecological Entomology) have shown that nonmigratory South Florida Monarchs show higher protozoan parasite levels than the Western short-distance migrants, and these show higher parasite loads than the long-distance Eastern Monarch migrants. This data can be interpreted several ways: 1) long distance migrants are doing great!, 2) different Monarch populations have different parasite loads, so mixing them might not be wise, 3) parasite load is low for long distance migrants, because their physiological demands cause additional natural selection, culling out the highly stressed. Explanations 2 and 3 give pause to the notion that Monarchs are panmictic, no-worries fellow travelers. Explanation 3) suggests that parasite load works to select against migration.

Even given this information, it is not at all certain that the Eastern Monarch migration will be affected by commercial parasite spillover. But is far from impossible. Long-distance migration in butterflies is a rare, dangerous strategy that depends on natural conditions which we do not entirely understand. Those conditions are changing for Monarchs, and I do not see why we should be so certain that Monarchs will defy the natural selective pressures that discourage  other butterflies.

Patrick Foley
bees, fleas, flowers, disease
patfoley at csus.edu