[Leps-l] [leps-talk] Monarch Armageddon

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Wed Feb 20 11:52:36 EST 2013

On Feb 20, 2013, at 7:40 AM, Foley, Patrick wrote:

> New pathogens and parasites arise in populations by
> mutation or host switching. Their transmission to other
> populations sometimes has disproportionate effects.
> This is clear for many species including B. occidentalis,
> even highly mobile ones such as our own. Monarchs
> are not fully panmictic, even in temperate areas,
> despite lots of natural mixing.

Pat, over five monarch genetics studies (including this
2012 study*) have failed to find genetic differences
between eastern and western monarchs.   But even if
it was true that eastern and western monarchs are not
fully panmictic you, Brower, Oberhauser and Taylor have
not explained how it could be biologically possible for a
few citizen scientists  like myself to inadvertently cause
the collapse of the whole eastern migration-overwintering
phenomenon via shipping a few thousand western
monarchs to the eastern USA.

The bumblebee, Bombus occidentalis, did not suffer
a population decline here in the USA because humans
transported a native western USA bumblebee disease or
parasite to the eastern USA or vice versa.  So the Bombus
situation cannot be legitimately compared to the human
assisted west to east monarch transfer issue.

Thus we continue to see there is no credible scientific basis
underlying the beliefs of Brower, Oberhauser and Taylor
that a few that a few citizen scientists like myself could
inadvertently cause the collapse of the whole eastern
monarch migration-overwintering phenomenon via shipping
a few thousand wild caught western monarchs to the
eastern USA.

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.

*Lack of genetic differentiation between monarch
butterflies with divergent migration destinations
Molecular Ecology 21, 3433-3444 (2012)