[Leps-l] Follow-up Re: [leps-talk] An Unpublicized Monarch Overwintering Site In Central Mexico

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Mon Jan 20 20:03:40 EST 2014

On Jan 20, 2014, at 3:45 PM, Gail Morris wrote:

> Just wanted to add this information so everyone is aware this was
> not a new site and there may be a good reason the area is not
> openly publicized.

Gail earlier I wrote: "There continue to be unreported and / or secret
monarch overwintering sites high in the mountains of central Mexico."

I am the first person to post the exact location of the secret site
on the Popocatepetl volcano a public forum:

http://imageshack.com/a/img600/6623/og9j.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img12/4473/h76i.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img823/6760/6bcl.jpg

No monarch insider leaked the location to me.  I had to find it
myself via watching these off road vehicle enthusiast videos on
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVoDetGQBc4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBhwOayKOvg
and then finding the telltale landmarks on Google Earth.

Here is a map showing the location (red square) of this secret
overwintering site in relation to the locations of the well publicized
overwintering sites (blue squares) in Michoacan:
http://imageshack.com/a/img836/8585/2n4m.jpg

Previously the public had been shown maps like this one
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/images/graphics/monarch/Distribution_NorthAmericaEW.gif
that lead everyone to believe the eastern monarchs migrate only to a small
75 mile wide region in and near the state of Michoacan that has
11,000 - 12,000 foot mountains. But in reality the overwintering monarchs
in Mexico are spread over a large area just as is the case in California,
Australia and New Zealand.

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.