[Leps-l] Adela purpurea lekking

jeff at mineralmovies.com jeff at mineralmovies.com
Thu Jun 25 17:24:57 EDT 2020

For the past 5 years, I have been watching Adela purpurea here in
Connecticut.  I was surprised to see the males lekking above pussy willow as
I had not read about that behavior.  I'm wondering if anyone else has seen
this.  Also, does anyone actually have a female in their collection?  I do
not think I have seen one yet and all the specimens at UCONN were males.

Here is a video showing the lekking behavior (the last section is slowed
down by 2x).  UInfortunately, it only shows one male flying at a time.  I
have seen groups of over 20 and maybe 30, but typically 1 to 5..  There are
some still photos of up to four males in the frame at the end.

https://vimeo.com/432643676

I would enjoy comparing notes with anyone else who has been observing A.
purpurea.

Jeff Fast
www.MineralMovies.com <http://www.MineralMovies.com>
(860) 985 - 6321