[Leps-l] Manfreda Conservation Survey - March ABF zoom meeting 3/22 @ 7 pm CST

Mike Quinn entomike at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 18:59:40 EDT 2021

Austin Butterfly Forum invites all to join us in the following zoom meeting:

*Monday, March 22, 2021, at 7 pm CST: *

*Manfreda Conservation Survey: In Search of Rare Species, *presented by
Marianna T. Wright, Executive Director of the National Butterfly Center.

Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87269323860 - link is also on our Austin
Butterfly Forum <http://austinbutterflies.org/index.html> website.

The National Butterfly Center is leading the charge to learn more
about Manfreda
maculosa (Texas Tuberose) and the critically imperiled butterfly that needs
it to survive. Citizen scientists are needed to help with the first phase
of this conservation project, upon which we hope to build a comeback for
this rare, native host plant and its "ghost," the Manfreda Giant-Skipper.

The National Butterfly Center is seeking landowners and volunteers to
participate in a Manfreda conservation survey. The purpose of this survey
is to locate, observe and identify Manfreda species in South Texas. This
flowering succulent is native to the Tamaulipan Thorn-scrub (roughly Del
Rio to San Antonio to Corpus Christi south to ne Mexico)

Manfreda is significant to us because it is the only known host plant for
the *Manfreda Giant-Skipper*, a G1, Globally Critically Imperiled,
butterfly species.

Since most of South Texas is private property, the participation of
landowners is especially important to the success of this survey.

We are seeking participants in the following counties: Aransas, Bee, Bexar,
Brooks, Cameron, Hidalgo, Jim Hogg, Jim Wells, Karnes, Kenedy, Kinney,
Kleberg, Medina, Nueces, San Patricio, Starr, Uvalde, Webb, Willacy, Wilson
and Zapata.

Volunteers can sign up here:
https://www.nationalbutterflycenter.org/join-national-butterfly-center/manfreda-survey

Marianna T. Wright is a passionate advocate for Texas' natural treasures.
As executive director of the National Butterfly Center, she is leading the
charge to protect and preserve the creatures and features that make South
Texas so special.

More details on the project here:
https://www.nationalbutterflycenter.org/nbc-multi-media/in-the-news

Photos of south Texas Manfreda species:
https://www.naba.org/chapters/nabast/manfreda.htm

[image: Manfreda.png]
_________________________________
*Zoom Instructions*
Join this monthly Zoom Meeting via your ZOOM app.  (Be sure you have the
latest version of the Zoom app.)  Please consider logging on early if this
is your first time to join us so we can assist with any difficulties that
might arise.  (The following is the permanent ID for this and all future
meetings.)
Meeting ID: 872 6932 3860
To join by browser:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87269323860
<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87269323860?fbclid=IwAR3F56VvI3LuoSS3cfCZv7jtyEgsGvEkpK6-RoME0AIGmlx1-ohbaNwkTOU>

_______________________________

*2021 ABF membership dues *are due. Individual membership is $20 and
household membership is $25.  You can now pay by following this link to
Paypal <https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/austinbutterflyforum>. Please
include your contact info in the note section.

______________________________

A recording of the *February *zoom presentation by Marc Minno on "Cuba and
Its Fantastic Biodiversity" can be viewed here:

https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/1-xbTlU2ypoDirtVJUyErahPi-cCvvfbhV9_2ueSMuOieF_f_K5II1IeSVvHommC.-qhRtVwGgd7eoC1Y

or: http://bit.ly/3bFRIIl

Passcode: YYKTGx5$

Note, I failed to record the first ~10 minutes of Marc Minno's great
presentation.

Our *April *presentation will be by Betsy Betros on her extensive surveys
on the butterflies in the Kansas City region.

Please forward this announcement to any potential interested parties.

Thanks all!

Mike Quinn, vp programs
Austin Butterfly Forum
512-577-0250 - cell