[Leps-l] Monarchs - subspecies, genetics and migration

rcech at nyc.rr.com rcech at nyc.rr.com
Sun May 29 19:10:43 EDT 2022

Whoa, as I started my original comments, I'm not sure what a "subspecies" is
to begin with - a human taxonomic fantasy or a biological reality? It is
perfectly logical for potentially speciating segregates to continue a
roughly stable gene exchange for many generations (e.g., buckeyes, possibly
Canadian Swallowtail and almost certainly Pearl/Northern Crescent). If
strong genetic, ecological  or environmental determinants promote
consistently differential phenotypes (or if this occurs by simple genetic
chance), but if regular gene exchange continues, then valid and stable
"subspecies" can and do arise. I don't see the inconsistency between this
and species-level analysis; just that a broad gray area exists that needs to
be considered. This adaptive process is a matter of biology (not geometry),
and in biology subjects do their all to adjust, according to rapidly
changing environmental survival determinants, regardless of proposed
theoretical guidelines, and regardless of our carefully laid taxonomic
boundaries.

Sorry if this is iconoclastic, but it is what I see out there, time and time
again. Nature is plastic, opportunistic, and delightfully unpredictable.

Okay,  enough said, I'll shut up now, let wiser voices hold forth,

Rick