[Mendele] MENDELE Personal Notices and Announcements--New York Jewish diaspora: a sociolinguistic research project

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Fri Aug 1 10:28:14 EDT 2008

MENDELE Yiddish Language and Literature
Personal Notices and Announcements

Aug. 1, 2008

To minimize wear and tear on the untershames, three requests:

1. Send time-sensitive notices well in advance.

2. Send material as plain text:  no HTML, other coding, or attachments.

3. Correspond directly with the person who or organization which has
posted the notice, *not* with your ever-beleaguered untershames.

From: agnieszka.urbanska at onet.eu
Subject: New York Jewish diaspora: a sociolinguistic research project

Dear All at Mendele List

Could you help?

I'm a student of linguistics from Poland. Together with my university
professors I am about to start a sociolinguistic research project on the
Jewish diaspora in the New York City area.In general, the project
addresses at least two issues. Firstly, we would like to focus strictly on
its formal linguistic side by investigating, among other things, the
transfer of various lexical items from Yiddish into New York City English
(and the other way as well); we would like to check if there is any
difference regarding this process when various groups of informants are
compared (for example orthodox vs. unorthodox Jews; younger vs. older
informants; New York Jewish communities vs. Jewish communities slightly
outside New York City). We also aim to compare grammatical (for example,
syntactic) structures in the same manner, on the same groups of
informants.

The second aspect is also of linguistic nature, though addressed from a
different angle.  It analyzes grammatical structures and lexical items as
markers of ethnic identity. Without going into much detail at present,
this part of the project works under the assumption that certain
grammatical structures and lexemes found in texts manifest the ideology of
a given social group. We would like to work here within the framework of
the Critical Discourse Analysis which, it seems, can be applied to
researching the linguistic markers of ethnicity of a precisely defined
social group.

At present, we are trying to get some general feedback on the topics of
the research. I would appreciate any comment from your side, be it a
negative or a positive one. Your opinion really matters to us to a great
extent, it's always nice to have someone look with a critical eye on other
people's research - in a way it gives you the impression of "a fresh
look" at things and gives you the chance to verify your plans and
expectations concerning the study.

Or perhaps you have come across similar research already?

Any tips, suggestions, remarks would be most welcome!

Thank you very much in advance, I hope to hear from you soon:-)

Best regards,

Agnieszka Urbanska

Please do not use the "reply" key when writing to Mendele. Instead, direct
your mail to one of these, as appropriate:

directly to the person or organization posting the material.

New material, always in plain text--no HTML-- for postings to Mendele
Yiddish literature and language to: mendele at mailman.yale.edu

New material, always in plain text--no HTML-- for Mendele Personal Notices
& Announcements to: victor.bers at yale.edu (in the subject line write
Mendele Personal)

All other messages to the shamosim: mendele at mailman.yale.edu

Mendele on the web: http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~mendele/index.htm