[Mendele] Mendele Vol. 19.003

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Tue Jun 16 20:24:48 EDT 2009

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 19.003
June 16, 2009

1) Plea to authors (Hugh Denman)
2) eyer-kikhl (Josh Price)
3) Catholics singing Yiddish (Tomas Novotny)
4) translations/meanings of words sought (Freydl Cielak)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date: June 5, 2009
Subject: Plea to authors

Authors of books on Yiddish culture often announce their works in either
Mendele or in Mendele Personal Notices. Quite naturally, they want us to
know that their books have been published, what they are about and, with
due blushing modesty, how excellent they are. All power to their elbow! We
potential readers are truly delighted to hear the news. But may I make a
plea to all such authors? Please spare a thought for those of us
responsible for ordering books for university and other libraries and give
the full bibliographic details.

Today for example I read a personal notice from Warren Hoffman announcing
his "The Passing Game: Queering Jewish American Culture."  Typically he
gives us a useful synopsis, but otherwise mentions only his own name and
the title. That just isn't enough!

What we also need, mutatis mutandis, is something like this:

Hoffman, Warren, The Passing Game: Queering Jewish American Culture,
Syracuse U.P., 2009, 216pp. [ISBN: 978-08156-3202-3], $24.95.

That way, the necessary information can be cut-and-pasted directly into an
accessions-list, saving faculty and librarians time and helping the
authors themselves to get their books purchased and read as expeditiously
as possible. I happen, by the way, to use to use MHRA style, but, of
course, the Chicago U.P. nusekh is equally acceptable.

Hugh Denman

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  March 28, 2009
Subject:  eyer-kikhl

While reading Bashevis' "Di kafeterye," the Yale-New Haven Leyenkrayz came
across "eyer-kikhl."  Can someone provide a description of precisely what
kind of delicacy this is?

Josh Price

3)----------------------------------------------------
Date: June 10, 2009
Subject: Catholics singing Yiddish

Libe khaveyrim!

If you would like to see that even Catholic authorities can sing in
Yiddish, please, go to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6OnJCCebio

Zayt gezunt!

Tomas Novotny

4)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  June 3, 2009
Subject: translations/meanings of words sought

Can you Mendelianer, help with the meaning and translation of several
words, all from the Yiddish Book "Tsvey shtiber" fun Aren Pakht?

1) oybst

Fun di gertener hot zikh getrogn der geshmaker reyakh fun tsaytikn oybst

2) katerinke, katerinshtshik

oyfn mark, der katerinshtshik mit zayn katerinke

3) der makher

Yolke, der makher, hot festgeshtelt az er ken alts derleydikn.....

4) der kyonkash

dortn hot gevoynt a shuster velkher iz geven bakant mitn tsunomen: Der
kyonkash

5) der kazyoner

gekumen keyn vishkov fun lite, iz reb hayzer, der kasyoner....., gekumen
iz er tsu zayn a lerer far di besere mentshn fun shtetl....

Ikh dank aykh foroys, Freydl
Frida Cielak fun Meksike
End of Mendele Vol. 19.003
Please do not use the "reply" key when writing to Mendele. Instead,direct
your mail as follows:
Material for Mendele Personal Notices & Announcements, i.e. announcements
of events, commercial publications, etc., always in plain text (no HTML or
the like) to:
victor.bers at yale.edu (in the subject line write Mendele Personal)

Material for postings to Mendele Yiddish literature and language, i.e.
inquiries and comments of a non-commercial or publicity nature:
mendele at mailman.yale.edu

IMPORTANT: Please include your full name as you would like it to appear in
your posting. No posting will appear without its author's name.Submissions
to regular Mendele should not include personal email addresses, as

In order to spare the shamosim time and effort, we request that
contributors adhere, when applicable, as closely as possible to standard
English punctuation,grammar, etc. and to the YIVO rules of transliteration
into Latin letters, which are explained in summary form at
http://www.yivoinstitute.org/about/index.php?tid=57&aid=275 .

All other messages should be sent to the shamosim at this address:
mendele at mailman.yale.edu
Mendele on the web: http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~mendele/index.htm

To join or leave the list: