[Mendele] MENDELE Personal Notices and Announcements--Librarian's position in Montreal
victor.bers at yale.edu
Wed Jun 24 20:44:47 EDT 2009
MENDELE Personal Notices and Announcements
June 24, 2007
To minimize wear and tear on the untershames, three requests:
1. Send time-sensitive notices well in advance.
2. Send material as plain text: no HTML, other coding, or attachments.
3. Correspond directly with the person who or organization which has
posted the notice, *not* with your ever-beleaguered untershames.
From: J Wolfthal at email@example.com
Date: June 20, 2009
Subject: Librarian sought by Jewish Public Library, Montreal
Jewish Public Library
The Jewish Public Library is a public lending and research library
mandated to collect comprehensive and diverse bibliographic material on
Jews and Judaism in Canada and the rest of the world. It is the largest
collection of circulating Judaica in North America, and long with its
extensive children's Library and Archives, serves the Montreal and
international communities principally but not exclusively in English,
French, Yiddish, Hebrew, and Russian.
Title: Reference/Cataloguing Librarian
General Description: The Reference/Cataloguing librarian will be
responsible for the provision of reference service, cataloguing new and
older materials, and act as staff liaison to the Yiddish Cultural
programming Committee in the organization of Yiddish cultural events and
A significant proportion of the position will also be spent assisting at a
busy circulation desk,.
* MLS from accredited library school
* 3-5 years experience in reference and/or public services
* Demonstrated interest in emerging technologies to improve access to
library materials, including the exposure of local catalogue information
on the web.
* Knowledge of trends and developments in academic library cataloguing,
metadata standards, and information retrieval. Knowledge of bibliographic
and authority record maintenance in an automated environment.
* Minimum of one (1) year of professional cataloguing experience,
preferably in an academic library, using AACR2, Library of Congress
classification and subject headings, and MARC formats, with demonstrated
high level of cataloguing knowledge and ability.
* Initiative and leadership skills, with willingness to share
expertise, work in teams, and negotiate solutions with diverse groups.
* Strong analytical and creative problem solving skills, and the
ability to work independently.
Details of functions:
* Provides in-depth reference service and assists at computer centre
* As liaison to the Yiddish Committee, coordinates meetings, programs,
courses and all Yiddish-related activities.
* Cataloguing of new materials and retrospective collections
* Assists at circulation desk, participates in interlibrary loans.
Interested candidates should apply by July 8th, 2009 by email only to:
search.committee at jplmontreal.org.
Please do not use the "reply" key when writing to Mendele. Instead,direct
your mail as follows:
Material for Mendele Personal Notices & Announcements, i.e. announcements
of events, commercial publications, etc., always in plain text (no HTML or
the like) to:
victor.bers at yale.edu (in the subject line write Mendele Personal)
Material for postings to Mendele Yiddish literature and language, i.e.
inquiries and comments of a non-commercial or publicity nature:
mendele at mailman.yale.edu
IMPORTANT: Please include your full name as you would like it to appear in
your posting. No posting will appear without its author's name.Submissions
to regular Mendele should not include personal email addresses, as
responses will be posted for all to read.
In order to spare the shamosim time and effort, we request that
contributors adhere, when applicable, as closely as possible to standard
English punctuation,grammar, etc. and to the YIVO rules of transliteration
into Latin letters, which are explained in summary form at
All other messages should be sent to the shamosim at this address:
mendele at mailman.yale.edu
Mendele on the web: http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~mendele/index.htm
To join or leave the list:
More information about the Mendele