[Mendele] Mendele Vol. 23.016

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Fri Mar 7 14:09:34 EST 2014

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 23.016
March 2, 2014

1) Yiddish Romanization Tool (Refoyl Finkl)
2) Yiddish Romanization Tool (Peter Gutmann)
3) shabash (Elvira Groezinger)
4) shabash (Murray Woldman)
5) shabash (Meylekh Viswanath)
6) shabash (Itsik Goldenberg)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date: February 3
Subject:  Yiddish Romanization Tool

My automated tool at

http://www.cs.uky.edu/~raphael/yiddish/makeyiddish.html has an option
that allows you to enter text in Yiddish letters (either directly in an
input box or in a file)
and get the equivalent in Romanized transcription.  In the first option
column, choose
"Unicode"; in the second, choose "YIVO transcription."  If you use a file,
it should be
plain text in utf-8 encoding; my program does not understand Word
formatting.

If your text is not in a computer file but rather on paper, you need an
optical character
recognition program.  I have built one, but it isn't easy enough to use for
me to publish it.
But I have succeeded in converting some texts from the Book Center into
computer files.

Refoyl Finkl

For that very purpose: Refoyl Finkel's Yiddish Typewriter:
http://www.cs.uky.edu/~raphael/yiddish/makeyiddish.html

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date: February 2
Subject: Yiddish Romanization too

Dear Paula,

If your material is in a format Refoyl Finkl's Yidishe Shraybmashinke
understands, that
would be a great tool because it works both ways and can transform oysyes
into letters.
You can check it out here:
http://www.cs.uky.edu/~raphael/yiddish/makeyiddish.html

If your material is too much to upload and convert on Refoyl's page, you
might want to
consider downloading his superb "yidishtex" package for LaTeX and run the
scripts on
your own machine.

Best,
Peter Gutmann

[Moderator's note: Barry Goldstein and Lucas Fiszman also wrote in to
recommend the
Yidishe Shraybmashinke.]

Date: February 3
Subject: shabash

I wonder if this is not a derivate from the Hebrew word "shibesh" to make a
mistake, so
something by fault. It depends of course on the context.

Best,
Elvira Groezinger