[NHCOLL-L:64] Curator gets his job back (forwarded)

Sally Shelton Shelton.Sally at NMNH.SI.EDU
Thu Apr 1 08:35:32 EST 1999

http://www.timesglobe.com/page003.htm

Saint John, N.B.
Wednesday March 31,1999

Curator gets his job back

Don McAlpine returns to the New Brunswick Museum tomorrow

By DAVID YOUNG - Times Globe staff writer

Don McAlpine is as suprised as anyone to learn he has his job back.

Dr. McAlpine, the curator of zoology at the New Brunswick Museum, was essentially ousted two months ago in a move that triggered a public outcry. He was told yesterday afternoon that the museum's board of directors has had a change of heart.

The board, with whom his lawyer had been negotiating for two months, met on the weekend. Still, Mr. McAlpine was expecting to be officially dismissed when he met with board members yesterday afternoon.

Instead, the 63-day-old dispute ended with an invitation to come back to work tomorrow.

This morning, Dr. McAlpine described himself as "greatly relieved.

"I'm pleased that the dispute over my continuation at the museum is over," he said.

"I want to thank all my friends and colleagues in New Brunswick and across the country and members of the general public who have offered their support to me and my family over the last two months.

"It's been a difficult time and words cannot express the depth of my appreciation," he said.

Dr. McAlpine called upon the people who supported him to now throw their support behind the museum itself.

"Along with the museum and board of directors, I'm committed to the work of the museum," he said.

Board chairman Michael Campbell declined to discuss the issue this morning, instead referring all calls to the new acting director of the museum, Paul O'Connell. He was not in today.

In a news release from the board, Mr. Campbell said that Dr. McAlpine's stated desire to work with management and the board "in a co-operative manner played a significant role in the board's decision."

He said the museum has retained a facilitator to improve communications and help shape the institution's direction.

Economic Development Minister Roly MacIntyre, who is responsible for the culture portfolio and indirectly for the museum, said the decision to keep Dr. McAlpine was made by the board and he supports it.

"What you're seeing is an attempt by everyone to move forward," said Mr. MacIntyre. "The decision is in the best interest of the museum."

Since the Cormier report was released in late January, the focus has been on museum director Frank Milligan's departure and Dr. McAlpine's dismissal.

As a result, Mr. MacIntyre said he has been unable to deal with concerns about funding or the state of the collection.

"I think it's time we got on to other issues like the state of the collection," he said.

At the end of January, following the release of consultant Skip Cormier's report on the problems plaguing the museum, Mr. Campbell announced that Mr. Milligan would leave for a new position with the provincial government's Department of Economic Development and Tourism.

A few hours later, Mr. Campbell told Dr. McAlpine that he had one week to either resign or be fired.

News of the ultimatum ignited a firestorm of criticism.

Museum supporters staged quiet protests in front of the museum and collected 1,300 names on a petition objecting to the board's treatment of Dr. McAlpine.

As well, scientists from across the country wrote to the board, to Mr. MacIntyre and to Premier Camille Thériault, calling for the decision to be reversed. Dr. McAlpine, the letter writers said, was a nationally recognized scientist who was an invaluable asset to the institution.

The zoologist's future was even the subject of debate in the New Brunswick Legislature as Tory MLA Milt Sherwood
called on the government to explain the move. Until now, the board has steadfastly maintained that Dr. McAlpine's departure was for the good of the museum.

Board member Dawn Bremner has said the museum had good reason to ask for Mr. McAlpine's resignation although she declined to say what the reason was.

Ms. Bremner said that Mr. Cormier's report on the museum called for Dr. McAlpine's departure. The version that was edited for release to the public made no such recommendation.